Thursday, June 17, 2010

Chicago Shedd Aquarium at Solider Field

Today we were super adventurous. I found out it was free week at the Aquarium in Chicago and decided to go. One of the girls from church came with me. She was excited to go and I was excited for a little bit of help. Hailey is 12 and really helpful. We got to Chicago in about 1 hour and 45 minutes. We only missed one turn. Pulled into the parking and walked to the Aquarium. Solider Field is pretty impressive. We got right into the Aquarium. It was free day, but that only got you into a small part of the aquarium and none of the good part, so we upgraded. It still was cheaper than regular prince, but I did feel a little bit like the web site was miss leading. Oh well. the price of admission was well worth it for the Animal show. We headed right over and got front row seats. I haven't been to Sea World in years, but from what I remember the Beluga Whale, Dolphin, Sea Lion and Penguin show was better than Sea World. It was awesome! Really well done and the girls loved it!
They wouldn't let you flash photos, but my photos are a little bit fuzzy.

Photo of Eliza by herself while we were waiting.

Beluga Whale

The penguins walked right in front of us. They actually stood right in front of us for about 1 minute. They were less than 3 feet away.

Dolphin

Playing in the sub after.

The penguin exhibit

Gretta as a penguin. Isn't she cute!
Riding on the Sea turtle. Good thing he was fake. 

We sure had a good time. We were home by 4pm We were really lucky that we got right in. When we left there was a line of at least 250 people waiting to get in. So I am glad we got there early.  The girls both napped on the way home. I made one wrong turn, but luckily it only took about 20 mins to get back on track and we didn't end up in South Bend before I realized it. 
We had such a fun time I might be willing to brave Chicago again.
 (Even if they made me pay $19 for parking. I think that's worse than LA!)

0 comments: