Sunday, July 1, 2012

University of Michigan


Eliza and Gretta waiting for Dr. Buchman at Uof M. We took Carli over to University of Michigan on Thursday to see Dr. Buchman. It has been weighing on me to make sure that Carli gets the best care possible here in Michigan. Gretta's cleft palate repair was done so well and she hasn't had an problem with it and her speech is so good that I want to make sure that Carli has the best surgeon she can too. 
It was so comforting to me that Dr. James Andersen, who I worked for when Gretta was born, knew Dr. Urata and made sure we got great care. 
In Grand Rapids we saw Dr. Mann. Everyone has great things to say about him, but I wasn't sure that is who I wanted to go to. I had some questions about the procedure he preforms and the strength of his program, so I made an appointment at U of M for a second opinion. 
During the appointment we found out that Dr. Buchman trained with Dr. Andersen. What a small world. That helped me make up my mind. We are going to have her surgery done at University of Michigan. It is worth the extra hour car ride!!! I really feel like it is a tender mercy from the Lord. Little did Dennis Fors know that by being the best scout master in the world to Jimmy Andersen his grand children would be so blessed. 
When we got home I reached out to Dr. Andersen, and this is what he emailed me. 

Gretchen:

I am delighted to hear about your new baby.  Sounds like your home must be a mad house.  I know Bucky very well.  He was my intern at Penn and followed me in plastic surgery there.  He is a jokester with numerous voices…If you take him to a restaurant, you will find that before long, he is standing and entertaining the entire restaurant clientele.  He was a spectacular resident and one of the most productive residents to graduate from Penn plastic surgery.  I am sure that he will take good care of Carli. 

I hope that you survived the Michigan winter.  My father grew up in Muskegon and we used to visit his cousins, there, when I was young.  Many times we went up to a camp outside Petosky.  We also looked forward to riding the Dune Scooters along Lake Michigan, as well.  You should take your family to Isle Royale National Park at some point.  I am sure that Eric will demonstrate his fortitude by swimming a few yards in Lake Superior. 

My son, Jimmy, has enjoyed Medical School – sort of – it has been very challenging because of the rate and volume of information that is thrown at him on a daily basis.  He leaves early in the morning and comes home late.  Emily is working at a lab here at COH and wants to apply to Medical School, as well.  My Eric finished his third year at Berkeley and got an internship this summer with the LA Branch of Deutsch Bank.  I have no idea what he is doing, there, but he comes home late, too.

So my house is full, again, and it feels very small.

Jim



0 comments: