Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Carli's ear tubes and hearing test

Well the whole story is going to be a lot funnier in 10 years than it was last night that's for sure.
First of all it seem that if I have to drive to Ann Arbor it will snow and someone will get a snow day. The day we went in January was the only snow day Gretta has had all year.  Tuesday the drive over was horrible. I am so happy I made it safely. It was snowing the whole time and the roads were snow covered. It took forever too because I had to go so slow. The last 9 miles once I hit the city limits of Ann Arbor were the worst. That really surprised me. Ann Arbor had a snow day on Wednesday.
We got to the hotel that was arranged by the hospital and got all check in. Everything was okay until I got woken up at 1:50 am in the morning with Carli's monitor alarm going off, but it wasn't going off because her levels were low. It was going off because it was out of power. Then I realized the power was out and had been for quite a while.
I used my phone as a flashlight and went out to the front desk. The front desk clerk was getting into the donuts that were out for breakfast. I think the stress of the night was causing her to eat. She told me she had been on the phone for 2 hours with the utility company and that now her cell phone was dead and that since the power was out that the hotel phones didn't work she didn't have anyway to call out of the hotel any more. The maintenance guy was at the hotel because shew as worried it was gas leak because the restaurant across the street still had power. She didn't instill any confidence in me. In fact she told me she was holding the flash light like a weapon because she couldn't even call 911 if someone crazy came into the hotel. After that interaction I had a hard time going back to sleep.
Then when I woke up in the morning it was hard to get out of bed into a cold hotel room and get ready in the dark, but thanks to my phone I was able to get up and ready and get Carli ready too.
At first the car wouldn't start, but it finally did. Then we got stuck in the parking lot because it still hadn't been plowed. They got 7 inches of snow over night and I have no idea why no one had come to plow. Most plow companies come after 4 inches. So the maintenance guy had to shovel me out.
They just kept saying it was an act of God and they didn't have any control, but I felt like saying we live in Michigan and it snows so you need an plan. To bad everyone isn't Mormon and doesn't have an emergency plan! Lets just say I don't think I want to stay at that hotel again!!! Luckily for Carli's cleft palate repair I already have reservations at the hospital hotel.
Then I got lost going to the hospital and almost got in an accident parking, but we made it. After all of that I was thinking maybe I should go home. Luckily the hospital was business like usual and things went well.
Carli did great and the surgery went well. When she was done the audiologist was anxious to talk with me. She was surprised when she did the sedated abr that the test end up different than it had in December. In December they told me that her left ear had the mod-severe hearing loss that seemed permanent  and the right ear had a mild to moderate loss that looked like it would be helped with ear tubes. Well today the audiologist said her right ear had the mod-severe hearing loss and the left ear has the mild to moderate loss. What?!?!? It seems like the hospital in Grand Rapids must of gotten their left and right mixed up. I never meet the audiologist in Grand Rapids. But Katie assured me she did it 3 times and she was sure of her results.
So if we hadn't gotten another test and just put hearing aids on Carli they would have been on the wrong ears!!!!
I will go back in 4 weeks to have them retest her in the booth. We are hoping that her left ear will be in the normal range after all the fluid drains out and that her right ear will be a little better too. Lets just hope it doesn't snow March 21st!
The good news is that her sleep study results were fine. We didn't get to go over them in detail, but at least I know they are fine.
It was a long day, but we made it home safe and sound.  I was so glad to be home and get a hot shower!






0 comments: