Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Ear Tubes- Third times a charm we hope!

Gretta had her third ear tube put in her left ear drum this morning. She did great! We had to wake her up to take her to the surgery center, but she was still her cheerful self this morning. We did all of the paper work, and then they took us back to the pre-op room. She liked the pretty "bracelets" they gave her, or her name band and allergy alert band.

She is has a sensitivity to tape. The last two times they have taped down her eyes during surgery she woke up with big red swollen raccoon eyes. I figured we would try and avoid that this time. (Actually as a side note I would say about 80% of my patients are also have a sensitivity to tape. I have seen some patients with blisters from the plastic tape, so I use paper tape on all of my patients.)

She looked so cute in the bugs bunny gown they gave her. She was very brave and walked back into the OR with the nurse and doctor all by herself, no crying, or problems. When they took us back to see her in the recovery room the anethestologist said he wished that all of his patients were so good. She is really brave. I also think it is because we have read the book "Chris gets ear tubes" so many times in the ENT office. Dr. Shih said everything went well. We really hope it will improve Gretta's hearing, so I don't have to hear,"Turn up the music louder!" in the car any more, or "What?" so often.
After she woke up and we went home it turned into a normal day for her. No problem. We are so grateful it went so well.

I wish I had some cute pictures of her in her gown. Eric took one with his cell phone, so if we can figure out how to post it I will.

2 comments:

holly said...

Glad things went so well. HOpefully this is the last time for the tubes. Good luck!

Rachel said...

So happy to hear that things went well. Hope for a quick recovery!