Friday, December 19, 2008

You are not going to believe this!

We have been looking forward to today for some time now because we were suppose to be flying to Boise today. Gretta has been so excited to go to Idaho to see Nana, Papa, Uncle Gabe, Aunt Anna, baby Jackson, and Grandfather.
This morning was busy. We went to the allergist for her last round of allergy testing. Once she figured out where we were going I had to bribe her with two bags of M&M's as a reward. She just kept saying, "No more mean butterfly!" over and over. When we went last week Dr. Pham called the plastic instrument they use to do the skin test a "butterfly that gives kisses". Well she figured out last week that those "butterfly kiss" give you itchy red spots. I don't blame her for not wanting to go. Today they tested her for food allergies, and I am happy to report that other than green peas she doesn't have any food allergies. Yeah. Plus now she has a real reason for not wanting to eat green peas.
However, she is allergic to horses, mold, trees, grass, and weeds. He gave her singular to try. We will have to see how it works.
After all of that we were ready to go to Boise!!!
Linda picked us up at 2:45 and we headed to the airport. We arrived at 4:00 for a 5:50pm flight. I went to check in. I hadn't been able to check in online due to part of the flight being cancelled, but went to check in at the kiosk at the airport it also wouldn't let me check in. Then I went up to the ticket counter,and they told me my flight had been cancelled. I had checked just before we left for the airport and it was okay, and I even called to makes sure it was okay. I asked if they could book us on another flight, or on another airline, so we could get into Boise tonight on a non-stop and there weren't any other options. So after almost crying I figured I was just going to have to wait until tomorrow. He booked me on the same flight tomorrow.
Luckily Linda took me all the way to the airport, and I didn't take the Flyaway. Also lucky for me she kept the kids in the car and circled while I was suppose to be checking in. It made it a lot easier. So I then got back in the car and we headed home in LA traffic. We got home at 5:45pm, so it was a 3 hour car trip for my kids. Gretta also started to cry on the way home because she was so sad not be going to Idaho, and because she was going to miss going to Chucky Cheese tomorrow.
Then tonight when I was trying to check in for tomorrow I rechecked today's flight and noticed that IT LEFT!!!! WHAT??? I thought it had been cancelled. That is what the computer, and the gate agent told me.
Well long story short I called Alaska and they re-booked me for the earlier flight tomorrow, which also was suppose to be full??? And told me that I should be furious because the gate agent typed in that I was rescheduled due to my flight being cancelled due to weather which was all a big lie. The question is why would he lie to a lady with two small children, and make her come all the way back to the airport? This is the question I still can't figure out. The only thing I can think of is that he thought I was going to Spokane for which the flight really was cancelled. She told me to call Customer Care tomorrow, and she what they could do for me.
Can you believe that story. Crazy! Wish us luck tomorrow that things all workout okay. Traveling with two small children by yourself at Christmas isn't that fun even if everything works out okay.


****Just and Update. Alaska Airline gave me $150 a ticket in credit to put towards our next flight.

4 comments:

Jessica Simonsen Howard said...

That is awful! I can't believe that happened. Hope you have better luck with your next flight. We were going to go to Boise for Christmas, but I have to work. Enjoy it.

terrah said...

What a nightmare! I'd be so upset. I hope your next flight got out ok!Merry Christmas!

mistyp said...

What a mess! I'd be upset, too. Hope your holidays went well!

Shelley said...

I can't believe that. I think they should compensate you somehow, but of course they won't. That's what I hate about the airlines-- you are complete at their mercy. AAARGH.