Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Gretta's Trip to the Dentist

I took Gretta to a new Dentist in Provo last week. He contracts with the BYU Health plan to give a better price to the students. I didn't know anything about him or his office. but I figured she only needed a cleaning, and fluoride treatment, so it didn't really matter. Well I think I was wrong. First they let the girl who just graduated from their training program clean Gretta's teeth. Don't tell me she is good because she did such a great job on her "test" cleaning of another hygienist. Not a way to build up my confidence. Then the Dentist he told me she had 4 cavities. One in each back tooth. How did she go from having no cavities to 4 cavities in less than 6 months? One I could believe, but FOUR I could not. Is this from the lack of fluoride in the water? Is it that we aren't great about brushing her teeth in the morning? I couldn't believe it. I also couldn't believe that he wanted to take her to the Provo Surgical Center and put her to sleep so he could fill them. How much was that going to cost me??? I set up an appointment to come back in a few weeks and get the cavities filled.

Then I went home and set up an appointment to see the Dentist we saw 6 months ago right after we moved to Utah when we still had dental insurance, and there was a question about a cavity.
We went to see him to day. He thought she had two cavities. He said he could fill them today, so I agreed. It seemed more reasonable that she had two and not four. He is also a pediatric dentist, so he was willing to try and fill them with her awake first. He did tell me if she needed IV sedation they do it at their office at it is $450. I was hoping we wouldn't need that.
We didn't!!! Yeah!!!
Gretta did great!!! She sat still the whole time. They used laughing gas and she watched the movie "Up" on the TV in the ceiling, and didn't move the whole time. They only had to numb one side of her mouth. She didn't even jump when the put the shot in her mouth. The other one he didn't without numbing her because it was so small.

I still can't believe how great she did. I was so proud of her. She didn't complain about it and thought it wasn't a bad experience. That is all you can hope for. Way to go Gretta!

PS. I thought about taking a picture why she was in the chair, but decided against it.

3 comments:

terrah said...

I hate going to the dentist because it seems so subjective. I've had dentists tell me there are cavities when another dentist said there wasn't,and a dentist tell me I had no cavities until he took another look at my x-rays with me to show me how I didn't have any. Luckily, my stake president now is a pediatric dentist close by (South Jordan) and he is GREAT. If you ever need his info, just let me know.

terrah said...

PS-- I'm glad it turned out so well for Gretta! That is so great she was so calm!

Shelley said...

Yikes! I haven't even taken Anthon to the dentist yet because I think it's too much of a hassle here in Tokyo. And we've started to have him brush his teeth in the mornings. I think I better get on it.