Saturday, November 14, 2009

This is what H1N1 looks like


In Utah County they have decided to only distribute the H1N1 vaccine through the Health Department for now. So you go down on Monday morning and wait in line for a vaccine voucher and then go back on either Tuesday or Thursday for the shot. This is the second week they have been doing it this way. Last week we were out of town on Monday, so I couldn't get a voucher. So I had to wait until this Monday. Monday Brittany came over to stay with the girls, so I didn't have to take them out so early in the cold to wait in line with me. I wish I had taken my camera so I had a picture of me waiting in line. I felt like I was in the food stamp line or something. It was very equalizing to be waiting with all differently kinds of people. Plus the system is very equatable, so everyone has to wait in line just the same as everyone else. I got there at 7:35am and was done by 8:10 am. It wasn't too bad. Then Monday afternoon when Eliza woke up from her nap she had a 101^ fever. Great!
It didn't go away. Tuesday we went to get Gretta's shot at 10:00am. We had to wait in another long line and we were finally ready to go at 10:45m. Eliza of course couldn't get the shot because she had a fever. Luckily they wrote on her voucher that she was sick and could come back and get it another day.
The little girl right in front of us threw a HUGE fit and screamed the whole time she was getting the shot. Not what Gretta needed to see. Gretta however after some convincing did a great job. I had put EMLA cream on her arm that morning, and she said she didn't even feel the shot. Yeah! I haven't told her that she has to get another one in a month yet. She wore her "Junior Flu Fighter" sticker all day and was so excited to tell everyone she got a flu shot.
I promised her Panda Express if she was good, so she got a well deserved treat.
Eliza on the other hand just kept getting worse. By Tuesday afternoon she was looking pretty bad. I ran her up to the Health Center and we tested her for H1N1. It came back negative, but the sensitivity rate isn't that good so we treated her any way. She threw up Tuesday night a couple of times and ran a fever on Wed too, but by Thursday was back to her regular self. Thanks to Tamiflu. Poor little Eliza! I am just glad it is over and so far no one else in the family has seemed to come down with it. Time will tell.

0 comments: