Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Heber J Grant Scholarship Night

While Eric was Young Men's President Victor Pachco found a program at BYU-I to help under kids who are converts, first generation going to college, from single parent families, or low income families pay for school. Since this applied to a large percent of the kids in our ward Eric did some research and contacted BYU-I. He talked them into come down and doing a fireside to highlight the program. About 150+ attended the fireside from Stakes all over the LA area.
Since then Monte Harrick and Brian Kelley have been working with the kids in the La Crescent Stake to get them up to BYU-I or LDS Business College. They planned a trip up to visit the schools and go to Conference. A bus load of South Pas families came along too. The whole Lopez family and Ilene, Jessica & their mom Elva Aranda were the ones who came.
The group in total was over 40 people! Most of them had never left CA or seen snow. It was a crazy spring day and the Lopez almost slide off the road due to the snow. We even had a hard time in the Infinite getting up the hill to Aspen Grove.
Welcome to Utah! We meet them up at Aspen Grove and had a little devotional. I know that education will change these kids lives and it so exciting to see them get excited about going to college.
What a great experience. Now lets hope none of them were scared off by the weather.
Brittany Fors, me, Ilene

The Lopez family

Ps. I was freezing even with 2 shirts, a fleece and my heavy coat and I have been here all winter.

0 comments: