Sunday, March 7, 2010

Michigan here we come!

Whirlpool flew us out to Michigan to look around, meet some people, and find a place to live for the summer. Eric flew out a day early and spent Thursday night and Friday with a group of the summer interns looking around the city, and meeting people at Whirlpool. I had to work Thursday, but was lucky enough to get Friday off so I could go. Also my mom was very generous and watched the girls so we could go. (She spent 12 hours in the SLC airport on her way home to Boise. Isn't that horrible!)Thanks mom so much for coming!

Eric and I had a great time in St. Joseph's/ Benton Harbor Michigan. Friday night we went to a nice Chinese food restaurant, and I got to practice some Cantonese. I actually heard a group of teenagers girls speaking Cantonese at Wal mart too, so maybe there is an Asian population in the area. Then we went to the Chocolate Cafe for some hot chocolate. They don't have a coffee shop downtown only the Chocolate Cafe. Of course the serve coffee too, but it make me happy they serve so much chocolate!!!

Saturday Eric took me on a little tour of the area. Then we looked at some places for the summer. Luckily some the girls in the ward hooked us up with the place they rented before. It was by far the best option and the cheapest. It has been a bit rough because it is a summer vacation destination and most people wanted $2,000 dollars a month for a place.
Saturday afternoon Terry and Robyn Malone showed us around the area. I finally found out where all of the shopping was located, and they took us by the church and to look at some houses. Then hosted a BBQ for us and some other families who are in the ward. One of the husbands is a NP in the area and the other couple are both BYU MBA grads. They moved out 2 years ago. It was fun to meet some people.

Today we went to church in the morning and then flew home this afternoon.
The ward meets in a brand new building that they have only been in for 6 months. They have so many kids they have to hold opening exercises for the primary in the chapel. That's great! Lots of kids for my kids to be friends with.

We had a great trip. Thanks to all of those that made it happen.
Come visit us this summer! You are all welcome.

Silver Beach

Don't see this to often in California??? Snow on the beach!

We are going to live in the upstairs unit of this house for the summer. Isn't it cute? Reminds me of the Meringue House. Plus it is only 2 short blocks from the library, Children's Mueam, beach and Chocolate Cafe. Yeah!!!

Downtown St. Joe's


The Children's Museam
The Library


This is such a great house right on the beach I had to take a picture.

The Yacht Club

4 comments:

Rob, Adrienne, Sam, Ada and Tony said...

Looks cold, but the summer will be so fun there! I like that huge house on the beach too, but who would want to clean it!

Annie said...

Looks like a great place to live for the summer! Congrats to Eric on the internship! I hope all goes really well!
I looks like you are having fun with those cute girls, as usual!! Take care! :)

Desi said...

How fun! I didn't know Michigan could be so fun... just shows my ignorance. We sure love you guys!

Jessica Simonsen Howard said...

Looks like you guys will have a fun time. Who could argue with the beach, hope the water is not too cold.