Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Week One

It's been almost exactly one week since we left Sao Paulo and it feels like the longest week of my life!!! Also it's totally crazy because now it almost feels like a dream that we ever lived there! It's crazy how distance makes things feel so different. 
We have been lucky that even with a little bit of snow this week it hasn't been as cold as  January. The girls have been able to go outside during recess most of the time at school and we have had 2 really sunny days. The positives are: The swelling of my feet is down, but has been changed it itching. I an not sure which one is worse!!! Have a little bit more energy because I am not over heating:.  Internet shopping! My desk top computer.  My minivan. Not having to ride the elevator up and down multiple times a day and being able to pull right into my garage. Garbage disposal and bigger dishwasher. Central heat. Larger and faster washer and dryer. Trash cans- no more hauling trash down the service elevator 15 floors. Not being worried about getting car jacked every time I get in the car and go somewhere. No traffic. Short commute for Eric which always takes the same amount of time. Ease of going places. Getting mail 6 days a week.  Being able to understand everything everyone is saying around me. Seeing our friends again.

We are missing... the warm sunny weather, swimming in the pool, great places for Eric to eat lunch with is co-workers, fresh fruits and vegetables that are cheap and easy to buy, Teresa to cook, clean and help with Carli:), high flow shower head, having 4 bathrooms, Being able to run next door and play with the girls next door without having to put on a coat or even shoes! Our friends.

I have done a few funny things too like sit forever at a red light waiting to turn right because in Brazil it's illegal to turn right on red. Throw toilet paper in the trash can next to the toilet instead of the toilet, because in Brazil they don't flush toilet paper. Being totally overwhelmed by the size and selection at the grocery store. 

As for the girls the transition back into school has been good for the girls from a friend perspective, but for Gretta the reality of how far she is behind has been a bit rough. Plus it's rough to go straight from "summer vacation" back into school mode. I also have to say my kids were really spoiled in Brazil and learned some bad habits. It's going to be rough for a few weeks until they are back into a good schedule and routine here. I hope we all live through it!

Eric is back at work and he is liking his new role and grateful for his promotion. 
Carli and I are enjoying spending more time together and I love having a few hours of peace and quite while she naps and the girls are at school. I know that's not going to last for long. 

It's good to be home, but we will always treasure our experience and time in Brazil. 

0 comments: