Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Shots + no crying = Chuck E Cheese



I took the girls for their flu shot today. Gretta was adamant that she wasn't going to get a shot. I told her she had two choices on in the arm or one up the nose. She got the flu mist last year, and hated it. I as pretty sure she was going want it in the arm this year. After lots of winging, screaming and crying I convinced her that if she was good while she got her shot I would take her to Chuck E Cheese. She has been begging for me to take her there. I decided it would be worth it.
So I put EMLA cream on their arms and we headed off to the County Health Department. BYU health insurance doesn't cover immunizations, so I thought I was going to have to pay $25 dollars for each of their shots.
We pulled in the parking lot and had just gotten out of the car when we heard the buildings fire alarm go off. I couldn't believe it. I had my kids all ready and now we were going to have to wait. It was pretty obvious it was a fire drill, so we waited for about 10 minutes outside for the all clear. I had my kids all ready there was no way I was going to come later.
As it turns out Gretta needed 3 shots, or she would have had to have 7 at her pre-kindergarten visit. They now have more Hib so the kids need a 4th dose and her third Hep B was before 6 months of age, so she needed another one. I tried to take her to the doctor just before we left to make sure she didn't need anything and she threw such a fit that I didn't bother.
Eliza needed 3 too, but because one of them was Hep A which you need another dose 6 months later I talked them into only giving her Flu and Hep A today and we will come back for the next Hep A and Hib in 6 months. I really only like them to have 2 shots at a time. Plus unlike my Peditrician's office you can't have your shots in the arm until you are 3, so all of that EMLA wasted on her arms.
They both actually did really well with the shots. Not a peep out of one of them.
The good news is that because we don't have any insurance help with our health plan each shot was only $15, so 5 shots and $65 dollars later we were all done.
We had a quick trip to Chuck E Cheese. It isn't quite as big or as much fun as the one by us in California, so I was able to split my 100 tokens for $15 into 4 trips. Looks like we will have another bribe in the bag for another day.
Plus thanks to Suzette's suggestion I paid a dollar more and got Gretta the drink cup that is good for free refills. I see another game riding, soda drinking trip on our horizon.


PS on a sad note they both got high fevers and swollen arms after their shots. Ouch!

1 comments:

The Skinny Diaries of Allison said...

luckily this trip to Chuck E Cheese was less eventful than the time uncle rod and aunt allie took the girls there!