Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Amazing!!!

It's hard to tell from the picture, but these little band aids hold little teeny tiny needles. I got a referral from and American to find a chiropractor in São Paulo. I feel like I hit the jack pot with the one I found. Not only was he a trained chiropractor, but also an acupuncturist. My hips, especially my right hip, has hurt since I was pregnant with Carli. After lots of chiropractor visits and massage it was almost 100% and then I got pregnant again. It was really hurting and making it hard to sleep. It hurt so much I was brave enough to drive and go to the chiropractor by myself. I am SO glad I did. He was a miracle worker. His adjustments were much more gentle than adjustments at home and then he would put me on this suction machine for 15 minutes. After that he would put these super tiny acupuncture needles in and leave them there for 1 week. The crazy thing is I could feel the pain when they would come out and as soon as he put them back the pain would go away. It was truly amazing!
Once my ribs started to hurt because the babies were getting bigger the OB recommend going to the acupuncturist to see if he could help with the pain. No OB in the US would ever recommend that! So I told him about the upper abdominal pain and he added some more needles and I felt great!
As a Nurse Practitioner I sometimes thing we need to explore what we call in the US "complimentary or alternative" methods of health care. I had to do a whole 4 hour training this month on the over use and proper use of Narcotic Pain medications to renew my Utah licence. After 4 hours of training and hearing about how much fraud, abuse and misuse these drugs cause I think trying things like acupuncture for chronic  pain management before trying pain pills might be a much better approach! 

0 comments: