Thursday, November 6, 2008

Miracle of the 770,000



For those of you who have been living in a vacuum or outer space, yesterday marked the passing of what I like to call the "Miracle of the 770,000", otherwise known as Proposition 8 here in California. You see California has roughly 770,000 members of the Church, without whom I don't believe this proposition would have passed. Gretchen and I along with many others have been working on this marriage initiative since September, with activities every Saturday and most days of the week. We have been calling would be voters, walking streets talking to people and holding signs at major intersections to get the word out about Prop. 8. As recently as last week, our side was down 5% points in the polls. To turn that around and come out on top 52% to 48% is truly a modern day miracle.

Yesterday, I took the day off work to phone call all the confirmed yes voters I could. The whole stake met at Rod Hansen's Interstate Battery store and we were literally calling people from 10am to 8pm nonstop. I checked my phone and noticed that I had logged over 350 minutes in new calls. Thank goodness I upgraded our plan the day before!! As I sat there making calls, I felt the energy of the cause in which we were engaged. I looked at my brethren to my right and left and realized that we were indeed the Lord's army and that we needed to be His hands and His voice in getting this initiative passed.

As Gretchen and I went to bed last night, neither of us could sleep. It was like Christmas. We had worked so hard on this, literally scheduling last two months of Saturdays around Prop. 8 work. We said a humble prayer asking that all of our efforts would be magnified. I woke up the next day and as I was waiting for the bus, I read the headline, "Prop. 8 will likely pass". A simple smile passed across my face as I felt that our efforts had been magnified and that the Lord was pleased with our efforts.

My only remaining question is what do we do now with all the disposable time we now have? I'm sure life will have a way of filling that for me.

4 comments:

Debbie said...

Nice work! I admire you and all the California Saints for your efforts!

~ kietra ~ said...

Thank you so much for your efforts!! I am SO glad it passed.

Ie Li said...

Thank you for all of your hard work on that proposition. Something tells me though that this battle is not over yet.

Anonymous said...

thanks for all your hard work! it was definitely an answer to prayers. cool that you called to thank yes voters.