Friday, December 20, 2013

A Long Day at the Hospital

 This morning I had to come and have echo cardiograms on the babies because I am over 35 and having twins. I think at home Maternal Fetal Medicine would do a mini echo on the baby, but here they just told me I had to go to Cardiology. I am getting pretty good at getting to the hospital by myself and also navigating the hospital. My experience at registration was better this morning and they found a nice English speaking concierge to help.
The echo's went well and both babies hearts are healthy! Here there are no ultrasound techs. The doctors do their own exams.  I could feel the babies moving a lot when she was doing their exam. She said they were playing together. Their hands are close to their heads and I think they are already having boxing matches. 
Then I had to go to the lab for my glucose test. At home you fast and then drink the orange drink and wait one hour to get your blood tested. Here you come fasting, get your finger pricked to test your fasting blood sugar and then get a full blood draw if it's normal and then do a 2 hour glucose test. They put a hep lock in which is genius! At home when I had to have the 3 hours glucose test that involves 4 blood draws they just poked me 4 times. Here I got the hep lock, so I have only had one big poke. They have a nice chair for me to rest in and I got a WiFI password. So it' hasn't been that uncomfortable at all. Every time I come to the hospital I am more and more impressed by how it's run. I am almost considering having the babies here. If someone could promise me they wouldn't end up in the NICU I think I would do it. My Brazilian neighbor who wears a brazilian bikini reminded me that having a c-section here is much better than in the US. She has a tiny scare and it's so low you can't even see it when she wears her tiny bikini. I haven't talked with the doctors at home about c-section vs  Vaginal, but I think since I am having twins my chance of having a c-section goes way up. I am pretty sure my scare at home is going to be MUCH bigger! I guess it's a good thing I don't plan on wearing a Brazilian bikini anytime soon!

UPDATE--- The good news is that I passed my glucose test. Barely but I passed. I go to the OB on the 7th. We will have to see what she has to say about the test. I think it's a good thing we have been in Brazil during this pregnancy because I have been eating much more healthy than I do at home. Lots more fruits, vegetables, and lean meat. 

0 comments: