Monday, August 25, 2008

Gretta Jeanne Brossard Huff

Gretta Jeanne Brossard Huff
June 16, 1912 - August 24, 2008
These pictures are from my Grandmother's 96th Birthday in June 2008.

Grandpa & Grandpa Huff




My Grandmother passed away today in her sleep. She was 96 years old and had lived a very full life. I know that my Grandmother has passed on to a better place, but it is still sad that she won't be part of our life here on earth any longer. She will be missed.


I am named after my grandmother, and so is Gretta. It has been such a privilege and an honor to be named after such an amazing and special person. My Grandmother had a special enthusiasm for life. She loved to be the life of the party, she loved to help others, and she was a very caring and kind person.


My Grandparents moved to Boise when I was a child, so I got to spend lots of time with them. I have many memories of my Grandmother doing daily activities with me and being part of my daily life. She was always such a good champion of her grandchildren. She loved me very much. She also loved my children very much, especially Gretta.

When I went away to college my Grandmother wrote me every week. She would always include a dollar in each letter, and I remember I would use it to do my laundry for the week. She also wrote me each week of my mission. She wanted to make sure that I felt loved. She use to say that Grandchildren don't really realize that grandparents love them as much as their own parents. I know that my Grandma loved me and my family too.

My Grandmother always had a strong testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. She had so much faith. One of my favorite memories is being in the Temple with my Grandmother.

We will miss you Grandma!

Love,

Gretchen

12 comments:

jayna said...

I was just stopping by--saddened to hear of your grandmother passing. I chatted with her during a planning meeting for a ward activity at your parents' home about two years ago. I remember thinking that I hoped I was as ADORABLE as she was at 90+ years of age! You were lucky to have her. Please pass along a big hug to your Mom, especially. As my patriarch and his wife, your grandparents will always hold a special place in my life.

JOSH AND ANGELA said...

Oh I am so sorry to hear this news. I remember your grandmother's sweet weekly letters on the mission. What a remarkable lady!

mill said...

Gretchen,
We loved your tribute to Gretta. We loved her as well and she was always Grandma Gretta to my girls. I valued her friendship and remember with fondness the times we had together when she first moved to Boise. I would drive her to Relief Society activities and really got to know her then. She was always positive and happy and a good example to all her family. She never gave up on any of you!! She will be missed, but I can imagine her healthy, happy, and seeing other family members who have gone before. We will miss her.
Love,
The Carrasco's

Rob, Adrienne, Sam, Ada and Tony said...

I'm sorry to hear about Grandma Gretta. It is good to know that she went peacefully. My prayers are with you and your family.

Annie said...

I am sorry to hear about the passing of your sweet grandmother. What a nice tribute you wrote!You and Gretta can keep the legacy going!At times like these I am so grateful for the gospel- you will see her again! Take care and Love, Annie

Amanda said...

Gretchen,

I am sorry to hear about your loss. It is certainly hard to lose loved ones. We will pray that you and your family are able to feel peace at this time.
Love,
Amanda

mistyp said...

She did seem to be a sweet little lady, just from seeing pictures. What a blessing that she went in her sleep and didn't have to suffer like so many others do. I'm sure all the pics you have of you, your grandma, and Gretta will be even more precious now!

monica said...

We're so sorry to hear about your Grandma! What a cute lady!

My maiden name is Huff. You don't hear that last name often. I wonder if we're somehow related!

Linda Fors said...

Dear Gretchen, Eric, Gretta and Eliza, We are at the Van Leeuwens looking at your blog. What a touching, sincere and heartfelt tribute to your dear Grandma. Hope the funeral was as special as she was! Love, Linda

Ie Li said...

I'm so sorry to hear this. She is darling. What a rich heritage you have.

Jessica Simonsen Howard said...

Sorry about your grandma. It is so nice to know your grandparents enough that you have good memories of them. I just wish that my kids could have more memories of Greats, but that just won't happen. That is also cool that you can live on your grandma's name.

Larissa said...

Gretchen, so sorry to hear about your grandmother's passing. Thanks for sharing your beautiful tribute.