Friday, November 1, 2013

Dependent vs Independent

So I have been thinking about this last month in Brazil. One conclusion I have come to is that being such an independent person at home does not translate into independence here in Brazil. I have never been been so dependent in my whole life! I pretty much need someone help do do anything! I can take Carli to school by myself and go to the grocery story (even at the grocery story I am not always 100% sure of what I have bought), but that's about all. I can drive with the use of the GPS, but once I get where I am going then I still need help. It's an interesting position to be in since I don't really like to ask for help.
I had quite a few contractions this week and it was making me nervous, so I made an OB appointment Friday, but instead of being at the Drs office close to our house it was at her office at the Hospital. I figured the GPS would get me there, and then someone would speak English and could help me out. Eric was smarter and insisted that either he go with me or I find someone to go with me. The Primary President from Church, Reneta, was sweet and said she would go with me. At first she told me she had an appointment at the same time, but really it was at 4pm at the hospital. It was so nice of her to take me when she had to go back later!!!
Once we were there I realized that I had totally underestimated my ability to navigate the hospital by myself without any ability to speak Portuguese. I could have never done it without her!!! It's a massive complex and multiple building and different procedures for check in than I am use to. It's a good think that I brought my passport because they asked me for it two times. Security was tight! I am not sure even Eric and I could have figured it out. Luckily I have been once so next time I go back for my ultrasound I think I will be able to figure it out. Plus Eric is going to go with me because we will find out what the babies are.
The good news is the babies are doing well. I got to see them on her old school ultrasound machine. It's always fun to see them. I have started to feel them move more. She reminded me that since my uterus is going to grow so much faster this time I might have more contractions, but next time I could just call her on her cell phone if I have any questions. What level of service!
The girls also need more uniforms because it continues to be cold, and they are cold at school and could use fleece jackets. Eliza also needs a pair of pants. The uniform is super close to the church, so I know how to get there, but once I get there what am I going to do?


0 comments: