Sunday, November 3, 2013

Doctor Appointments

Last week was a little rough. Carli woke up Sunday night with a fever. I kept her home from school on Monday. She didn't run a fever Monday, but had a runny noes. When I went with her last week to school a lot of kids had the same runny noes, so I figured she got it from school and  I send her to school for a few hours on Tuesday and she went all morning Wednesday. Then when I picked her up on Wednesday they told me she really had a runny noes and that she had a fever of 37.5 C which is about 99.5 deg F. I think they were trying to tell me something like, "Dumb American Mom don't bring your sick kid to school!." Which is funny since I saw plenty of other sick kids when I was there (including the directors kids who had green runny noes) but then Carli got worse. Her fever came back and she woke up 3 times during the night. Plus Eliza woke up 3 times at night to tell me her ear hurt. Due to my/our lack of sleep I decided that everyone need to go to the Pediatrician. It was weird that Carli was getting better and then got worse. I was worried about her ears, or lungs and a secondary infection. I wish I had an otoscope and had brought my stethoscope. Eliza NEVER complains, so I knew that her ear really hurt. I called the Pediatrician that a few of the American Ex-Pats recommend who also happens to be in my OB's office, so I knew I could find the place. He has one receptionist who speaks English. I was able to make an appointment for that night at 7pm which was great because then Eric could come with me.
To say I was super impressed would be understatement. Dr. Christian was amazing! I have liked all of my kids Pediatricians, but his level of service was over the top. First his office has great toys for the kids. They were happy waiting and even in his office he had great toys. All of the doctors see you in their offices and only one patient at a time. They do the whole exam themselves. He was great with both kids. Eliza had thrown a fit about going to the doctor and he was great with her and she let him exam her without any problems. He even invited me to look in her ear. I have never had a doctor invite me to look in any one of my kids ears. She did have a mild ear infection and a upper respiratory infection. He told me to text him if she gets worse, but at this time didn't think she needed antibiotics.  He did write a prescription for a decongestant, noes drops, motrin and some ear numbing drops.
Carli was still more of a mystery. Her ears, and lungs were okay. He thinks she got another virus on top of the first one.
She was up Thursday and Friday night with a high fever again, but turned the corner on Saturday.
Dr. Christian gave me his office number, home number and cell phone. He told me that if they got worse over the weekend to call him at home and he could arrange to see them. He also told me to send him a text message with an update on Sunday. Carli ended up with a rash, so I emailed him pictures and he said he thought was fine and meant the end of virus.
Seriously I was impressed!  He also filled out a little passport book about each of them and put some notes about their appointment so I could take it to the doctor when we go home. He also gave me a referral for Carli for Speech Therapy with a Speech Therapist that speaks English and was trained in the US. I would agree that Carli probably needs to go, but I am trying to figure out if it's worth all the work of taking her. Nothing is very easy here. It's not like Jeni coming to my house like at home. Also I haven't been good about her wearing her hearing aids because she NEVER keeps them in. I am sure that would help too.

0 comments: